Cheshire FL – Round-Up 2/5/15



Premier League


Rudheath Social sit comfortably in eighth after three successive league wins this week as they play catch up with their fixtures. Firstly beating Billinge 2-1 as Ryan Jackson and Andy Whitney hit home for Rudheath and Rob Ablewhite scored for Billinge.  This was followed up with a 2-0 home win over Eagle Sports as goals from Whitney and Matt Clarke put a dent in Eagles title hopes. Their third win saw them run out 5-1 winners at home against Pilkington as Clarke added another two to his tally for the season. Jackson, James Feltham and Shaun Alcock also hit home for the Northwich side.


Denton Town shared the points in a thrilling 3-3 draw at home against Poynton where Phil Cooper, Jordan McCann and Mike Bennett scored for the home side, while Ste Kirby, Andy Hurst and Matt Toole hit home for Poynton. Denton now need to take maximum points from their remaining two games to stand any chance of surviving the drop.


Mike Blundell scored an impressive four goals for Crewe as they defeated Greenalls PSO 4-1, before going on to win 4-0 away at Denton Town where Ian Carr, Jamie Hart and Lukasz Synowicz (2) scored to keep Crewe in fourth place.


The top two sides battled it out on Wednesday night and shared the points in a 2-2 draw. Leon Grandison scored both goals for Linotype CHN, while Liam Myers and Dave Owens scored for Knutsford in their final game of the season. Knutsford remain top of the table on goal difference but Linotype have two games left to play, including their final game of the season against third place Eagle Sports who sit three points behind with two games remaining.


Eagle seem to be struggling with the number of fixtures that are coming thick and fast due to two impressive external cup runs. Saturday saw them held to a 1-1 draw at home against Sandbach United. Owen Ellis scored a second half penalty for Eagle after Sandbach had taken an early lead in the game.


Greenalls PSO bounced back from their mid-week defeat to beat Styal 3-0 at home to guarantee themselves premier division football next season. Ben Slater bagged a brace while Gareth Johns also hit home for Greenalls.


Billinge took a step away from the bottom two as they beat Gamesley 4-1 away from home. Ablewhite was on the score sheet again, along with Ryan Platt and Ryan Taylor (2). Billinge now need two points from their remaining two games to avoid relegation as they have a much better goal difference than Pilkington who sit four points behind them with the same number of games played.


League One


Maine Road Reserves started the week on a high as they beat Lostock Gralam 3-2 at home to put themselves two points clear of the drop zone and safe from relegation. The defeat meant confirmed relegation for Lostock as it was their final game of the season. 


The home team took the lead in the 7thminute when Jack Shiels found Nick Osbourne in space inside the Maine Road, with the Lostock back four holding a high line, Osbourne put the ball over the top as Josh Harper beat the offside trap to get one on one with the keeper before calmly slotting the ball into the back of the net. Maine Road doubled their lead ten minutes later as Mike Burke sprinted down the right wing and held the ball up just long enough for his inch perfect cross to meet the run of Sam Barnett who headed in from 6 yards. 


Lostock came back into the game in the 24th minute when Maine Road failed to clear a corner and Ryan Millington did a 360 degree spin and put the ball in the back of the net for 2-1. Lostock should have drawn back level on the half hour mark as Callum Priestly ran down the wing and put a good low ball into the box but there was no one there to meet it. 


Eleven minutes into the second half and Lostock were back on level terms as James Dean turned Tommy Johnson and smashed the ball into the back of the net.


Maine Road scored the winner in the 82nd minute when a good pass from Josh Harper released Chris Hirst who took the ball to the edge of the box and sent in a perfect low ball across the six yard box to the feet of Mike Burke who finished to make it 3-2.


At the other end of the table, champions Congleton Vale finished their season with a 4-3 win at home against Egerton. Richie Booth scored twice with James Spencer and Paul Spruce also hitting home. Tarporley Victoria also signed off with a win as they beat Daten 5-2 at home through goals from Danny Ball (2) Joe Marley, Mike Parker and Adam Williams.


Penlake climbed off the bottom of the table after beating already promoted Malpas 5-1 at home. Alex Griesdale and Craig Todhunter both scored twice after Josh Downes had opened the scoring for Penlake, Malpas only goal came from Alex Hughes early on. Penlake now need two points from their remaining two games to escape relegation, which would leave Warrington Town Reserves in the bottom two with Lostock Gralam.


Middlewich brought to an end a run of three straight defeats to take the three points required to guarantee third place in league one, by beating Maine Road Reserves 3-2 away. They were made to work hard for the points after a spirited fightback from a young Maine Road side after Middlewich had taken a three goal lead.

Middlewich took an early lead on 8 minutes with a well taken finish by Evans. The move started out on the left with a clever pass from Blackhurst to Joe oSullivan, who chipped the ball over the defence to the well timed run of Evans. With one touch he managed to spin his marker and chip the ball over the keeper into the top of the net for 1-0.

Maine Road were unlucky not to draw level in the 20th minute when Sam Barnett released Josh Harper, allowing him to get a shot away which was tipped on to the post by stand in keeper Jack Bryning. The rebound fell to Mike Burke but his shot went just over the bar.  

Middlewich doubled their lead on 29 minutes when a long kick from Bryning was headed back towards his own keeper by Zach Gatward but he didn’t connect properly and Mike Evans nipped into take the ball and lobbed the stranded keeper from just outside the box with a sublime finish.

Middlewich were playing good possession football and should have furthered their lead on 37 with their best move of the game. The move started off on the right hand side before being switched over to the left. Blackhurst found Smith who turned quickly and delivered the ball in to the box, which was chested down by Moore for Goryl to hit first time. Unfortunately the ball went the wrong side of the bar with the keeper already looking well beaten. 

It only took three minutes of the second half for Middlewich to grab their third. Another route one kick from Bryning was flicked on by Goryl and James Smith ran through and took one touch before smashing the ball past the keeper from the edge of the area.

Maine Road were handed a lifeline in the 56th minute when a quick free kick from Matthew Morgan was drifted over the top of the Middlewich defence to Rick Williams who slotted the ball home for 3-1.

This seemed to unsettle Middlewich as Maine Road grabbed a second on 62 minutes when a good ball to the right from Burke was played to the well timed run of Williams and he lobbed a stranded Bryning from 20 yards to get his second of the game.

JA Walton Challenge Cup


Wednesday night saw Altrincham Reserves come back from 1-0 down to finish 5-3 winners over Middlewich Town to progress to the semi-final of the JA Walton Challenge Cup. Middlewich led 1-0 at half time after James Smith had given them the lead in the 34th minute. An Altrincham midfielder overran the ball in his own half and was dispossessed by Steve Rowlands who then slid a great pass inside the full back for Smith to finish coolly past the keeper. 

The game changed early in the second half when Altrincham scored two goals in three minutes to take the lead. On 50 minutes, a good move down the left saw a cross into the box which Middlewich failed to cut out and the striker was on hand to side foot past Hebblewhite in goal to make it 1-1. Then two minutes later an Altrincham winger turned well and was allowed to advance towards goal without any pressure, before hitting a screamer from 25 yards. 

Middlewich brought the scores level on the hour mark after good link up play from Liam Blackhurst and Sam oSullivan resulted in a perfectly timed run again from Smith inside the full back for a mirror image finish of his first goal.

On 65 minutes Altrincham regained the lead again when Middlewich failed to defend a long free kick from the half way line with an Altrincham winger collecting a knock down on the edge of the box before being allowed to turn too easily and fire a shot in to the far corner.

Middlewich got the equaliser on 82 minutes after breaking quickly from an Altrincham corner. The ball came out to Smith in his own half who laid it off to Steve Rowlands who found Lunn with a good through ball. Lunn shaped to hit with his left before switching the ball on to his right foot and curl the ball past the despairing keeper into the corner from the edge of the area. 

Altrincham gained the upper hand in the 95th minute when Robinson gave away a free kick on the edge of the box and the Altrincham full back stepped up to curl a first time effort around the wall and past a helpless Hebblewhite. Although Middlewich pressured to try to get the equaliser Altrincham confirmed their passage to the semi-final with a breakaway goal in the last minute of the match when their striker was played in to finish past Hebblewhite for 5-3.


Lostock Gralam booked their place in the final for the second year running after beating Grappenhall Sports 1-0 away through a Callum Priestly strike. They will face Wythenshawe Town who won 2-0 away at Altrincham Reserves as Jonathan Rand and Ash Woodhead hit home. The final is to be played at Barnton FC on Saturday 9th May 1pm.


Presidents Cup


Irlam Reserves finished 4-1 winners over Cuddington through goals from Adam Campbell (2) Dean Burgess and Gareth Meredith. The win puts them through to the semi-finals where they will face Tarporley Victoria away next Saturday.


League Two


Irlam Reserves continued their climb up the table as they finished 3-2 winners in a tight game away at West Didsbury & Chorlton Reserves. Max Camilleri and Shackeel DePeiaza scored the goals for the home side.


Josh Miller and Remmi Williams both scored for Wythenshawe Town as they beat Mersey Valley 2-1 away to continue their unbeaten run of sixteen league games.


Reserve League One


Linotype CHN were crowned Reserve League One champions after an emphatic 5-0 win away at Middlewich Town. Jordan Thomson grabbed another hat trick, while Jason Jones and player/manager Wayne Grandison also got on the score sheet. The win was their 19th of the season in the league and they remain unbeaten having drawn one game. The defeat also confirmed relegation for Middlewich Town who have only secured three points all season and have a goal difference of -61.


Garswood United sit in seventh spot after winning both of their fixtures this week. They started with a 1-0 win away at Rylands where Danny Bell scored the only goal before beating Gamesley 2-0 at home.


Styal sit in fourth as they also celebrated two wins this week, firstly beating Gamesley 4-3 in an end to end game that saw Joe Cooper (2) Lee Allen and Tom Pryce score for Styal, while Paul Higginbottom, Josh Stevenson and Liam Redmond hit home for Gamesley.


Lee Allen was in form again as Styal beat Daten 4-1 at home, with goals from Lee, Troy Hayder (2) and Harry Maylett. The other game at the weekend saw Billinge come from a goal down to beat Poynton 3-1 at home through goals from Jonathon Redmond (2) and John Cullen.


Reserve League Cup


Billinge progressed to the semi-final of the cup after beating Pilkington 3-0 away from home. Sean Homer scored twice for the away side in the first half, with Ryan Platt also getting on the score sheet. Billinge will now face last years winners Whaley Bridge who won 3-0 at home to Greenalls PSO.


Reserve League Two


Knutsford A continued their run of form as they beat West Didsbury & Chorlton A 7-1 to remain six points clear at the top of the table. A hat trick from Henry Scutt, along with goals from Mark Evans, Dom Baker, Jordan Gunter and Jacob Millett secured the points for Knutsford.


Sandbach United also impressed as they moved into second spot after beating West Didsbury & Chorlton A 4-3 in a tight game that saw a hat trick from James Bettley and a goal from Nathan Cliffe. As Sandbach have now finished their games, their promotion hopes lie in the hands of Wythenshawe Town who sit four points behind with two games left to play after beating Cuddington 3-0 away.


There were goals galore as Moore United played host to Golborne Sports and the away team finished 5-3 winners. Mike Koppel, Dave Sargeant, Josh Taffe, Scott Walker and Dean Wilkinson scored for Golborne, while Tom Smith (2) and Adam Dakin scored for Moore.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s