Cheshire FL Round-Up 25/4/15



Premier Division



Two wins for Knutsford this week sees them return to the top of the table on goal difference after winning 4-1 away at Rylands thanks to goals from Dave Owens (2) Tom Rutter and Liam Myers and then beating Denton Town by the same score in a game that saw Myers, Ste Jenyons, James Pickford and Richard Smart hit home.

Eagle Sports proved they are still in the title race as they inflicted Linotype CHNs second league defeat of the season on them, winning 2-1 at home through goals from Ged McAllister and Lee Boardman.

Two goals from Boardman on Saturday saw Eagle defeat fourth place Crewe 2-0 and Eagle moved three points behind Linotype with a game in hand and the sides are still to play each other in the league in what could be the title decider in May.

Linotype bounced back from their midweek disappointment to beat Greenalls PSO 3-0 away in a game that saw Stuart Ball score twice and Nehru McKenzie also found the net. Linotype will now face Knutsford in a midweek fixture that will conclude the season for their opposition.


 Whaley Bridge moved back up to fifth spot after two successive wins this week; firstly beating Denton Town 2-0 away, before going on to win 1-0 at home against Rylands.

Billinge climbed out of the drop zone as they won 1-0 at home against Styal where Ryan Platt scored the only goal. Styal returned to winning form with a 3-0 home win over Pilkington as Joe Knight, Ryan Jones and Pa Modoy Sarr all scored. Pilkington now sit a point from safety, having played a game more than the teams either side of them.

It has been a tough week for Rudheath Social as they have lost both games. Crewe rolled out 3-2 winners as Nathan Southern (2) and Mike Blundell hit home, before Garswood United beat them 3-1 at home.

There were goals galore as Gamesley entertained Sandbach United and the visitors finished 5-4 winners in a tight game that saw the sides go in level at 3-3 at the break. Jamie Baker, Mike Dewhurst, Andy Heath and Jordan McGrath scored for Gamesley while Aiden Cox, Josh Lane and Charlie Livesey hit home for Sandbach, before Tom Wakefield came off the bench to score twice and win the game for Sandbach.

JA Walton Cup


Grappenhall Sports will play Lostock Gralam in the semi-final of the JA Walton Cup after beating FC Woodford 1-0 in a tight encounter on Tuesday night. Tom Swann scored early in the game after his quick feet opened up the chance for him to bend a beautifully curled shot in to the top corner to make it 1-0.

This woke Woodford up and they dominated the next 15 minutes as their excellent movement and quick play between the lines were causing Grappenhall  issues. 

Woodford had good possession in the second half but Grappenhalls defensive shape was proving hard to break down and they were restricted to long range efforts that caused little concern and Grappenhall held on for the win.

Lostock Gralam finished 4-2 winners in an end to end encounter with Mersey Valley that saw James Horne, Kyle Wilding (2) and Mike Welch score to put Lostock through to the semis.

Ben Brooks and Paul Walley both scored twice as Wythenshawe Town dispatched Congleton Vale 5-1 to secure a semi final place. Remmi Williams scored the other goal for Wythenshawe, after Tom Jackson had given Congleton the lead.

Wythenshawe will now face the winner of Altrincham Reserves v Middlewich which is to be played on Wednesday night.

League One



Congleton Vale were crowned league champions after beating Penlake with a convincing 5-1 win, despite a rocky first half that saw Penlake leading 1-0 at the break.

It was a feisty encounter as the sides met for the third time this season and it was Penlake who started the stronger side, pushing forward and testing the Congleton back four whenever they could. Penlake took the lead through captain Alex Griesdale in the 14thminute as he hit home from the penalty spot after a hand ball in the area by Congleton.

Congleton pulled the scores back level seven minutes after the restart. Carl McCurrie scored a penalty after Ryan oReilly was fouled in the box. Chris Lawton put Congleton in front in the 65th minute which was followed up by a header from oReilly three minutes later. Richie Booth scored with five minutes remaining before chipping the keeper four minutes later to make it 5-1.

At the other end of the table, Tarporley Victoria took a massive step away from the drop zone as they beat Warrington Town Reserves 5-0 away. Joe Marley and Adam Williams both scored twice and Danny Ball also made the score sheet in a big win for the away side.

Things remain tight at the bottom of the table and a 3-2 win for Daten at Maine Road Reserves means the Manchester side remain only two points clear of the drop zone with two games remaining. 

Daten had the first of the chances as they shot just wide and fired a warning shot to Maine Road but the home side responded well with three clear chances. Josh Tinker found a good run from Sam Barnett and put him in behind the defence, Barnett squared the ball across the 6 yard box but Adam Savill miss hit allowing the Daten defence to clear the danger. Two minutes later Maine Road tried exactly the same move as Tinker put Barnett in behind this time, he crossed to the unmarked Savill at the far post but Savill headed over the bar. With 20 minutes on the clock, Barnett lay the ball back for Tom Keyworth who whipped in a good cross only for Savill to head wide.

At the other end of the pitch, a free kick just outside the box forced Maine Road keeper Lewis Fielding into a finger stretching save to keep the scores level. In the 40th minute, James Beer collected the ball in midfield and went on an impressive run before sending his shot crashing into the net from 40 yards to give Daten the lead. 

Daten made it 2-0 in the 55th minute when Ian Morris headed home from a free kick but Maine Road responded well and three minutes later it was 2-1 when a Maine Road free kick found Tinker wide right, he cut inside and hit a lovely strike from just outside the box leaving the keeper standing.

In the 64th minute, Beer repeated his party trick and blasted the ball into the back of the net from 40 yards again with another wonder strike. Maine Road pulled a goal back in the 86th minute when Josh Tinker put the ball into the box which was met well by Josh Harper who struck the ball into the near corner for 3-2. 

Chris Trowbridge opened the scoring for Egerton in the 19th second of their home game against Middlewich Town. At the other end James Smith was played in behind the full back and prodded the ball past the keeper only to see it cleared off the line. Although Middlewich had the possession Egerton created two chances of their own and stand in keeper Sam oSullivan made good saves to keep the score at 1-0. Egerton also hit the bar from 25 yards as their winger was allowed space to cut inside and get his shot off. Middlewich then had another shot cleared off the line as Moore reacted quickest off a corner but was unable to steer the ball in to the net. 

Middlewich got the equaliser on 65 minutes when Mike Evans linked up well with Smith and Joe oSullivan and stabbed the ball past the keeper and inside the post from 12 yards for 1-1. 

In the final minute Middlewich piled forward and were rewarded with a corner but Carl Wade couldnt get enough on his header and from there Egerton broke quickly and with one long ball forward, Leon Robinson was forced in to putting it out for a corner. From the resulting kick the ball fell to Sean Mills who took one touch before hammering it into the top of the net to give Egerton the win.

Presidents Cup


Tarporley Victoria booked their place in the semi-finals in spectacular fashion as they beat Penlake 5-3 on penalties. Joe Marley and Sam Lloyd scored for Tarporley but a late second goal from Alex Griesdale sent the game to penalties leaving Tarporley victorious.

Malpas also progress through to the last eight after beating Daten 3-1 away. The opening chance of the game fell to Malpas when Danny Lloyd saw a twenty yard strike well saved by the Daten keeper. As the half moved on Daten closed Malpas down and took control pushing them back with Conner Tinsley pulling off two top draw saves. 

On 35 minutes a mix up at the back saw a penalty awarded to Daten, only for Tinsley to dive low down and push the shot away. 

Daten took the lead with 10 minutes to go when Sean Bennett hit home at the near post but Malpas reacted quickly and soon after, Alex Hughes headed home to level the scored. Within a minute, Malpas had turned things around when a move down the left saw Adam Hailes put Lee Parry through who rounded the keeper to make it 2-1. Alex Hughes made it 3-1 when he drew the keeper out and slotted home from a tight angle for a great finish. 

League Two

Witton Albion Reserves climbed off the bottom of the table after beating second place Altrincham Reserves 3-2 at home. Dan King (2) and Jack Johnson scored for Witton, while Dave Brown, and Ryan Goodwin hit home for Altrincham.

Mersey Valley continue to battle for third place as they began making up their games in hand with a 3-0 win at home against Moore United. Valley came out the blocks quickly with the in-form Flynn beating his man and delivering a teasing cross for Kyle Denton to volley home with 20 minutes on the clock. Their lead was doubled 33 minutes later whenKwiatkowski  unleashed a 35 yard power driver which swerved past the helpless Moore keeper for 2-0.

Mersey Valley secured the points in the 69th minute as Woodley played the ball out wide to Liversedge who cut the ball back for Aaron Minshall to smash into the top corner.

Dan Butters, Adam Campbell and Gareth Meredith all scored for Irlam Reserves as they beat Cuddington 3-0 to move up to sixth spot. Cuddington went on to share a 3-3 draw with West Didsbury & Chorlton where Nathan Lang (2) and Scot Ravenscroft scored for Cuddington.

Reserve Division One

Greenalls PSO continued their climb up the table and now sit comfortably in second having not been beating since mid November. Ellis Houghton scored a goal in each half on Thursday to see them sneak a 2-1 win over local rivals Rylands. Stefan Bell scored for Rylands. Greenalls then followed this up with a 4-0 win at home against Garswood United where Jon Charnock, Connor Fogg, Gary Fox and Neil Glendinning all scored in the victory.

Gamesley also returned to winning form as they took maximum points from both games this week. Jordan McGrath (3) and Liam Redmond (2) scored in their 5-2 win away at Poynton, while a hat trick from Paul Higginbottom helped them to a 3-0 win at Middlewich Town.

Goals from Wayne Bromley and Jordan Thompson saw Linotype finish 2-0 winners at home against Daten leaving them nine points clear of Greenalls PSO with two games in hand as they continue their unbeaten run.

Grappenhall Sports sit in ninth spot after a 3-0 win away over Poynton where Sam Bruce and Aaron Williams (2) scored and Billinge beat Rylands 3-0 with all goals being scored in the second half. Jonathon Redmond, Jack Leyland and Ste Wolhuter scored the goals for Billinge.

Reserve Division Cup

Wythenshawe Town booked their place in the semi-final of the cup after beating Knutsford A 2-1 at home.

Linotype CHN also progress through to the semi-final after a convincing 11-2 victory over last years finalists Denton Town. Jordan Thomson was in fine form as he scored a hat trick, while Matty Oldfield and Danny Grandison both scored twice. Further goals came from captain Mike Risk, Mike Thomas, Dan Hugo and Josh Guiver.

Reserve Division Two

A 1-1 draw at home against Sandbach United was enough to secure the league title for Knutsford A as Ste Jenyons scored their only goal. Aiden Cox scored for Sandbach United.

Wythenshawe Town started their week off with a 3-2 win at Moore United, taking a 2-0 lead into the break. Goals in the second half from Moores Ryan Taylor and Joe Holt made the game more interesting but Wythenshawe held on for all three points.

Malpas sit in sixth spot after a convincing 10-3 win over Cuddington that saw Jack Roycroft bag his first hat trick of the season. Lee Parry and Chris Ingall both scored twice, with further Malpas goals from Rob Martin and Mike Christlow. Joe Clarke scored a hat trick for Cuddington, scoring all of their goals.

Ryan Simmons scored for Sandbach United in their 1-1 draw at home against Moore United, while Matty Arnold scored for Moore and Pilkington lost their last league fixture 4-3 to West Didsbury & Chorlton, meaning their promotion chances lie in the hands of Sandbach United. Anything less than a win for Sandbach and Pilkington will go up as runners up as they currently sit two points clear.

Golborne Sports secured their second win of the season as they beat Cuddington 6-2 at home. Gary Shannon, Craig Shakespeare, Josh Taffe, Anthony Smith, Dean Wilkinson and Scott Walker all made the score sheet.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s