Cheshire FL Round-Up – 18/4/15


Premier Division

Things continue to look tight at both ends of the table as a Ryan Liddle goal for Denton Town ended Linotype CHNs unbeaten league run, losing 1-0 to local rivals and the league leaders were then held to a 2-2 draw away at Crewe after going 1-0 down in the first half. Nathan Southern and Dean Twigg scored for Crewe, while goals from Jordan Goodeve and Phil Yuille rescued a point for Linotype which leaves them three points clear of Knutsford with two games in hand.

Eagle Sports remain firmly in the title race as they started the week with a 3-2 win at Greenalls PSO despite going 2-0 down early on. Slow defending allowed a quick free kick move to be finished by Ben McWilliams for 1-0 and Greenalls doubled their lead from another set piece when Neil McDermott was unable to keep a low drive out as it squirmed into the goal from Phil Harrison.

Eagle began to respond and got a goal back just before the break, when Jon Shakeshaft slotted into the net to make it 2-1 at the break.

Eagle looked to be struggling to find a way through in the second half until Owen Ellis flicked on a cross for Ged McAllister to finish after contesting with the keeper to draw the sides level. Substitute Lee Boardman scored a low free kick late on to secure three massive points for Eagle.

However due to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Poynton on Saturday, Eagle remain six points behind leaders Linotype with a game in hand.

Greenalls bounced back well from their disappointment to beat Denton Town 2-1 to move themselves six points away from the drop zone.

A Dave Berry hat trick along with goals from Joel Brownhill and James Daniels helped Rylands to a 5-1 win away at Styal but an Oliver Jepson hat trick saw them lose 3-1 away at Sandbach United.

Rudheath Social continued their climb up the table as they secured two successive wins this week. Firstly beating Sandbach 2-0 through goals from Shaun Alcock and Scott Taylor and following it up with a 3-0 home win over Gamesley.

Garswood United also celebrated a successful week; firstly beating locals rivals Pilkington 3-1 through goals from Lloyd Dean (2) and Mike Winer and going on to record a 13-1 home win over Styal. Danny Clarke added a double hat trick to his seasons tally while Danny Bell, Mike Furlong and Alex McMilan all scored twice with a further goal from Matty Gregory to round off a good day for the St Helens side.

Nathan Southern, Dean Twigg and George Ward all scored mid week to help Crewe to a 3-2 win at home against Poynton, while Whaley Bridge added to Pilkingtons miserable week, beating them 3-0 at home.

League One

Congleton Vale took one step closer to the title as they beat Warrington Town Reserves 4-2 with Jordan Erdmann scoring all four of their goals. They now only need one win from their remaining two games to secure the title.

Malpas started the week with a 2-2 draw away at Lostock Gralam. Alex Hughes and Lee Smith scored for Malpas while Callum Priestly and Martin Bell got on the score sheet for Lostock.

Saturday saw Malpas win 3-1 away at Maine Road Reserves as they look to finish the season on a high. Steve Watkins opened the scoring after 15 minutes with a header from a corner to give Malpas the lead. Zach Gatward received the ball at the far post but his shot was cleared off the line by a Malpas defender, they followed this up with a great ball into the box from Adam Saville but it landed just behind the run of Mike Burke. The equaliser came when Matthew Morgan sent a pass to the feet of Sam Barnett who beat the offside trap and finished well when one on one with the keeper to make it 1-1. 

Malpas got the lead back straight away when a corner fell to the back post for Lee Parry to slot home for 2-1 before the break.

Malpas top scorer Alex Hughes made it 3-1 from the penalty spot after 65 minutes and held on for the win but Maine Road were unlucky not to pull a goal back late one when Sam Barnett dummied a shot and let the ball run through to Morgan whose shot agonisingly brushed the side of the post before going out for a goal kick.

Penlake returned to winning form as they beat Tarporley Victoria 4-2 at home. Joe Phillips and Jack Wilson (2) gave Penlake a 3-1 lead at half time and a 48th minute goal from captain Alex Griesdale secured the win, Danny Bell and Sam Lloyd scored for Tarporley. Penlake now sit three points from safety, while Tarporley remain three points above the drop zone.

Lostock continue to battle relegation and the weekends 2-1 win over Egerton left them two points from safety, having played two games more than the teams around them. Craig Smith and Joe Pointon scored the goals for Lostock.

Middlewich started the brighter of the two teams and took the lead on 6 minutes. A Joe oSullivan corner was headed away to the edge of the box where Mike Evans was waiting, he took one touch on to his left foot before hitting a low shot back across the keeper. As the ball headed towards goal Jack Bryning got a sufficient enough touch to help the ball into the net. 

Middlewich were enjoying good possession and doubled their lead on 31 minutes when a superb cross out on the right from Andy Moore was volleyed goal wards by Evans. Although the keeper made an excellent stop the ball ricocheted at speed off one of his defenders and into the back of the net for 2-0

A third followed 5 minutes later when Joe oSullivan hit a sublime diagonal ball in to the path of Andy Moore on the right edge of the box who took one touch before driving the ball low and hard across the keeper in to the far corner of the net for his first goal for the club.

Golborne pulled a goal back just before half time as the Middlewich defence were playing a high line and with no pressure on the ball from the midfield the ball was played straight over the top to the impressive Josh Taffe who beat keeper John oSullivan to the ball and collected the ball on the other side for a tap in. 

Golborne started the second half brightly forcing oSullivan into a save whilst at the other end the Golborne keeper tipped a Joe oSullivan free kick round the post on 55 minutes. Two minutes later, Golborne grabbed a second goal when Middlewich failed to defend a simple punt from a free kick on the half way line and the ball dropped over the top of the defence to Taffe to smash home his 2nd of the game. 

In the 61st Middlewich were unlucky not to increase their lead when James Smith escaped the off side trap and was sent clear. He managed to get to the ball just before the keeper and lift a shot over him but was unfortunate to see his shot hit the bar and go over. Middlewich were looking vulnerable at the back though and another simple ball over the top to Taffe who evaded the offside trap, despatched the ball past oSullivan for his hat trick to make it 3-3.

The game settled down into a cagey affair with both sides looking capable of getting a winner. However with 3 minutes left Steve Rowlands made a surging run forward and was tripped just outside the right edge of the penalty area. Joe oSullivan stepped up to smash a hard shot low in to the far corner past the outstretched hand of the Golborne keeper to steal the points for Middlewich and keep them third in the table.

Presidents Cup

Daten proceed to the next round of the cup after beating Maine Road Reserves 3-2 on penalties. Thomas Keyworth had given Maine Road a half time lead but a second half goal from Matt Bush sent the game to penalties. They will now face Malpas in the quarter final on Saturday.

Irlam Reserves also go through to the quarter finals after beating West Didsbury & Chorlton Reserves 3-1 at home, they will face Cuddington on Thursday night.

League Two

A Gary Wakefield goal was enough to secure three points for Cuddington as they beat Witton Albion Reserves 1-0. They followed this up with a 3-2 home win over Cheadle Town Reserves on Saturday.

Wythenshawe Town remain unbeaten as they won 4-0 away at Irlam Reserves as Ben Brooks and Ash Woodhead both scored twice and then beat FC Woodford 2-0 at home where Brooks added a further two goals to his seasons tally as Wythenshawe were presented their league champions trophy. 

West Didsbury & Chorlton Reserves were held to a 3-3 draw at home against Altrincham Reserves after taking a 2-1 lead into the break. Rhys Bailey-Morton, Marcus Watkin and Ismael Camera all scored for West Didsbury, while Ryan Barry, Tom Clarke and Ryan Goodwin hit home for Altrincham.

Reserve League One

Linotype CHN remain unbeaten as they won all three of their games this week and now only need five points from their remaining six games to win the title. Tuesday saw them win 2-1 away at Billinge and despite the home team starting brightly they failed to deal with a corner in the 35th minute giving Dan Hugo space to tap in from close range to give Linotype the lead. Billinge pulled a goal back in the 70th minute when Ron Ablewhite struck a free kick from just outside the area to make it 1-1 but Linotype upped their game and Mike Risk scored the winner in the 89thminute when he headed home a corner.

Goals from Jordan Thomson (2) Wayne Bromley, Mike Thomas and Mike Wild saw off Styal as Linotype visited on Thursday and they finished off the week with a 4-2 home win over title contenders Whaley Bridge, coming back from 2-1 down at half time Thomson (2) Bromley and Jason Jones were the goal scorers.

Connor Glass and Josh Stafford scored for Poynton in their 2-1 win at home against Middlewich Town, while Greenalls continued their run of form with a 4-1 win over Daten. Ellis Houghton (2) Paul Benns and Neil Sutch all hit home on Thursday before securing a 6-0 win away at Gamesley. Houghton bagged a hat trick with Benns (2) and Neil Glendinning also making the score sheet.

Eagle Sports sit sixth in the table after beating Rylands 6-1 at home. First half goals from Jackson Heywood, Gareth Williams (penalty), Adam Deakin and Liam Walker gave the home side a 4-0 lead at half time and further strikes from Paul Gatenby and Craig Bishop added to Rylands woes, despite pulling a goal back through Nathan Clements.

Despite Billinge dominating possession in the opening stages of their game at home to Grappenhall, it was the away side that took the lead in the 40thminute when Matthew Ball hit home from the penalty spot. Billinge levelled the score in the 65th minute when Sean Kelly crossed from the left and found Jonathon Redmond who finished for 1-1.

Ten minutes later Redmond was dispossessed at the edge of the box and Grappenhall went 2-1 up through Aaron Williams, but within minutes of the re-start Billinge were level again, when Rob Ablewhite finished from close range.

Billinge got the winner with five minutes to go when Sam Nicholson went past two players on the right and shot from outside the box.

Styal bounced back from their midweek disappointment by beating Garswood 3-2 at home, despite both sides being reduced to ten men. Troy Hayder and Jordan Ecclestone (2) scored for Styal, while Josh Thompson and Jonathon Clarke hit home for Garswood.

Kyle Maddock, Mark oSullivan and Peter Daniel all scored for Middlewich Town as they shared the points in a 3-3 draw at home against Grappenhall Sports.

Reserve Division Cup

Billinge finished their group stages with a convincing 8-1 win at home against Cuddington. Sean Homer (2) Daniel Tree, Terry Keenan, Jack Leyland, Redmond, Nicholson and Daniel Hauge all hit home to secure their place in the quarter final of the cup.

Whaley Bridge will host Greenalls PSO, while Billinge travel to Pilkington.

Wythenshawe Town are at home to Knutsford A and Denton Town will travel to Linotype CHN in ties to be played over 25th and 30th of April.

Reserve League Two

Knutsford A remain top of the table after winning both of their games this week. Thursday saw them score five unanswered goals at home against Cuddington as Mark Evans (3) Ste Jenyons and Henry Scutt made the score sheet. Knutsford followed this up with a 3-1 win away at West Didsbury & Chorlton A. Jenyons hit home again, along with a brace from Howard Clayton. 

Pilkington kept up the pressure on top spot by beating Golborne Sports 4-1 at home, while Sandbach United continued their unbeaten run with a 1-0 win at Denton Town, where Harry Livingstone scored the only goal.

Goals from Bret Digby and Chris Ingall secured a 2-1 win for Malpas who played at home against Moore United as they leap frogged their opponents into seventh spot.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s