Glossop Reach FA Vase Final – How They Did It


North West Counties side Glossop North End this weekend booked their place at Wembley for the FA Vase final repeating the feat from 2009. This year however they’ll be hoping to go one better after losing 2-0 to Whitley Bay last time round.

We’re going to take a look back at how they did it.

10 games, 21 goals, 4 postponements and 2 replays.

First Round
Entering the competition in the 1st Round on November 1st last year, Glossop were paired up with fellow NWCFL side West Didsbury & Chorlton. A 2-1 win at Brookburn Road courtesy of two Kieran Lugsden strikes set them on their way in front of a crowd of 182.

West Didsbury & Chorlton 1-2 Glossop North End HT: 0-1
Scott Mason (72) Kieran Lugsden (35)
Kieran Lugsden (60)
Att: 182

Second Round
The second round saw Glossop entertain North East based side Ryehope Colliery Welfare at Surrey Street with The Hillmen running out 3-0 winners. Kieran Lugsden was again on the scoresheet with Tom Bailey and Eddie Moran completing a comfortable win.

Glossop North End 3-0 Ryhope CW HT: 0-0
Kieran Lugsden (61)
Tom Bailey (63)
Eddie Moran (90)
Att: 305

Third Round
The third round again saw Glossop paired with NWCFL rivals, this time in the shape of 1874 Northwich, who two weeks previous had beaten the Hillmen 1-0 in the league. In what was tie of the round locally and a potential banana skin for The Hillmen, they ran out 3-0 victors in an entertaining game in front of a crowd of 421. Kieran Lugsden keeping up his fine goalscoring record in the competition grabbing the first two before Eddie Moran for the second round running grabbed a late third.

1874 Northwich 0-3 Glossop North End HT: 0-1
Kieran Lugsden (27)
Kieran Lugsden (72)
Eddie Moran (82)
 Att: 421

Fourth Round
Round Four was a case of third time lucky, with the original tie against Worksop town being postponed twice. At the third time of asking the game went ahead in what was a tense encounter between two very strong sides. This showed as it took till the 102nd minute for the deadlock to be broken when Jason Carey sealed a 1-0 win for Glossop against the Northern Counties East League leaders.

Worksop Town 0-1 Glossop North End HT: 0-0
Jason Carey (102) Att: 650
(AET, 0-0 after 90 mins)

Fifth Round
Dunston UTS were the opposition in Round Five and a tough test against the winners of the competition in 2012. After an initial postponement, the rearranged game finished 2-2 after 90 minutes with Jason Carey and Tom Bailey on the scoresheet. Following the result the game entered 30 minutes extra-time, in which neither team managed to find a winner resulting in a replay the following week.

Glossop North End 2-2 Dunston UTS HT: 0-0
Jason Carey (65)
Tom Bailey (75p)
Andrew Bulford (63)
Gary Ormston (82)
Att: 651
(AET, 2-2 after 90 mins)

The replay proved as tough as the first game and would be a big test for the travelling Hillmen. Going a goal down in the opening 5 minutes it was going to be a tough afternoon for Glossop, however a Matt Russell equaliser with 15 minutes left on the clock again set up extra-time, where goals from skipper Dave Young and Kieran Lugsden saw Glossop into the Quarter Finals where they were to face Shaw Lane Aquaforce.

Dunston UTS 1-3 Glossop North End HT: 1-0
Gary Ormston (4) Matt Russell (76)
Dave Young (94)
Kieran Lugsden (99)
Att: 653
(AET, 1-1 after 90 mins)

Sixth Round
It was a case of De Ja Vu for Glossop in Round Six, a Kelvin Lugsden double ensured the game finished level at 2-2 after 90 minutes, and with no winner in extra-time a replay at Surrey Street was to follow the following week.

Shaw Lane Aquaforce 2-2 Glossop North End HT: 1-1
Lee Morris (10p)
Lee Morris (56p)
Kieran Lugsden (22)
Kelvin Lugsden (78)
Att: 334
(AET, 2-2 after 90 mins)

Again just as the previous round, the replay was settled with a late equaliser and further goals in extra-time ensuring a 3-1 win for Glossop. Shaw Lane looked to have won the tie with a goal in the 77th minute putting them 1-0 up, however Sam Hind equalised on 87 minutes to force an extra 30 minutes where Jason Carey scored a welcome brace to put The Hillmen 180 minutes away from Wembley and set up a two-legged semi-final against St Austell.

Glossop North End 3-1 Shaw Lane Aquaforce HT: 0-0
Sam Hind (87)
Jason Carey (102)
Jason Carey (111)
Joe Thornton (77) Att: 1010
(AET, 1-1 after 90 mins)

Semi-Final 1st Leg
The two-legged semi-final saw Glossop first to make the 560 mile round trip, travelling down to Cornwall the day before the big game to ensure the right preparation. In front of almost 2000 fans and a fantastic travelling contingent from Glossop, they came away with a tremendous 2-0 win thanks to goals from Lee Blackshaw and Ben Richardson putting them firmly in the driving seat and with one foot in the final.

AFC St Austell 0-2 Glossop North End HT: 0-1
Lee Blackshaw (16)
Ben Richardson (90)
 Att: 1986

Semi-Final 2nd Leg
With one foot in the final after the 2-0 win away at St Austell, Glossop had to be complacent despite having the home advantage and the two goal lead. Things didn’t get off to a good start with Matt Russell being red carded in the opening 6 minutes, however Glossop were resilient throughout limiting St Austell to few chances and although the Cornish side did score late on to secure a 1-0 win, it wasn’t enough and Glossop held on for a famous 2-1 aggregate victory and securing their second visit to Wembley in 6 years.

Glossop North End 0-1 AFC St Austell HT: 0-0
Liam Eddy (90) Att: 1303

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s