Cheshire FL – Round-Up 21/3/15


Premier Division

Fourth place Crewe stole the headlines as they stormed to a record breaking 12-0 win at home against Pilkington after taking a 9-0 lead into the break. Simon Everall was unstoppable as he managed to bag a double hat trick, while Nathan Southern also hit three!

Things continue to heat up in the title race as Linotype CHN were held to a 0-0 draw at Rylands, leaving them a point off Knutsford with four games in hand. The game started in frantic fashion and it was Rylands who created the first chance after just three minutes when Dave Berry raced beyond the Linotype defence from Brownhill’s pass only to shoot tamely at the visiting goal keeper, Aaron Tyrer. 

At the other end Grandison headed straight at Andy Moor in the Rylands goal when well placed inside the penalty area. After thirteen minutes Berry fired a Rylands free kick over the crossbar from the edge of the penalty area after Brownhill had been hauled down. 


Rylands were on top at this point and James Daniels forced a smart save from Tyrer from a snapshot before Dykes headed over from a Southern corner kick. Little had been seen of the visitors in an attacking force but close to the interval they had a great chance to take the lead but Grandison headed wide.

Linotype began the second period in more determined fashion and Moor had to be alert to save before the returning James Sinker scrambled the ball clear. Moments later a superb passing move involving Brownhill, Wilson and Berry saw Daniels race clear on goal but the advancing Tyrer saved well. 

Both sides pushed hard for a decisive goal and Moor again had to be alert to save a Grandison effort before substitute Ben Brownhill fired a fierce shot inches wide of the Linotype goal.

In the final minute another crisp exchange of passes between Brownhill and Southern saw the Rylands striker race clear on goal only to push his shot agonisingly wide of the Linotype goal.

Goals from Ray Dwolitka and Jason Broome (2) helped Whaley Bridge to a 3-2 win over current leaders Knutsford, with Lee Morris and Liam Myers scoring for the away team.

Eagle Sports remain a firm title contender as they beat Styal 7-2 which puts them six points behind Knutsford with five games in hand. Ged McAllister scored four, while Lee Boardman, Nathan Williams and Owen Ellis also hit home in a successful day for the Warrington side. Styals goals came from Stewart Maylett and Ben Mellor.

Two Danny Clarke goals added to a Mike Furlong strike saw Garswood United win 3-1 away at Gamesley with Mike Dewhurst scoring for the home team.

Poynton shared the points in a 3-3 draw at home against Greenalls PSO, while Rudheath Social took a step away from the drop zone as they beat Denton Town 1-0.

Billinge sit a point from safety in the bottom two after beating Sandbach United 3-2 with all goals coming in the second half. In the opening minute of the second half, Billinge were unlucky not to take the lead when Sean Homer Was put through by Gregson, only for his effort to be saved by Moss in the Sandbach goal.

In the 65th minute Rob Ablewhite was put through on goal but he was brought down in a clumsy challenge by the Sandbach keeper, the referee pointed straight to the spot and Ablewhite sent Moss the wrong way for 1-0.

8 minutes later Ashall and Gregson linked up well on the right before slipping the ball through to an unmarked Ablewhite to make it 2-0. This woke Sandbach up and soon after they had pulled one back to make it 2-1. 

Billinge keeper Hull had to be quick off his line following the goal, to stop Jepson and Clayton from scoring as Sandbach applied more pressure. Billinge got their third in the 82 minute when Phil Burrows put Ablewhite in again to complete his hat-trick.


Sandbach weren’t quite finish and pulled a consolation goal back in the last seconds of the game to make it 3-2.

League One


Malpas celebrated their first victory since January as they beat promotion rivals Egerton 2-1 at home. Egerton started slowly and it was Malpas on the front foot from the whistle with Alex Hughes and Andy Morris looking lively with good movement in forward positions.  

Malpas took the lead in the 13th minute when Joe Sumner broke forward and unleashed a shot from twenty five yards, the ball came back off the bar for Morris to head back in towards Alex Hughes, who headed it over the keeper for 1-0. 

This was just the start Malpas wanted and they followed it up with a second 3 minutes later when Richard Sadler broke down the left cut in and the ball was moved to Alex Hughes on the right who made no mistake with a low drive and a quality finish. 

Egerton regrouped and gave as good as they got, looking for a way back into the game. Neither side controlled the game with Malpas making the better chances with no finish and Egerton working hard with no clear chances. As the game entered the final minutes of the half Egerton brought their game back to life as Chris Trowbridge skipped through the midfield and drove it home into the bottom of the net. 

At the start of the second half, Andy Morris had a good chance after a good turn only for the Egerton keeper to save. Egerton looked to go longer for the equaliser, putting the home side under pressure. Conner Tinsley in the Malpas goal showed good hands all day when required and the back line challenged for everything, whilst chances came and went at the other end but Malpas held on for the 2-1 win. 

Congleton Vale took one step closer to the title as they finished 4-1 winners against Tarporley Victoria. Sam Lloyd gave Tarporley a first half lead, but Dan Buehler pulled Congleton level shortly after the restart. Then three goals in five minutes from Jordan Erdmann (2) and Chris Ogden killed the game off and ensured victory for Congleton.

Grappenhall Sports finished their league games with a 3-1 win away at Daten as Ryan Crawford, Tom Swann and Dan Sisson all scored, while John Johnston scored a late consolation for Daten.

Middlewich Town moved up to fifth after beating Warrington Town Reserves 4-1 away. Sam oSullivan scored twice with James Smith and Mike Evans also hitting home for Middlewich.


JA Walton Cup

Golborne Sports won their first group stage game, ironically as it was their last game in the competition, beating West Didsbury and Chorlton 6-2 at home. Josh Taffe scored a hat trick, while Dave Collard, Kieron Eaves and Scott Walker also found the net.

League Two

Wythenshawe Town maintained their 100% record as they beat Irlam Reserves through goals from Remi Williams and Ash Woodhead meaning they have comfortably secured promotion to league one next season.

Altrincham Reserves remain hot on their tails as they also seek promotion after beating Cuddington 9-3 away. Altrincham now sit five points behind leaders Wythenshawe but eight points ahead of FC Woodford in third, with a game in hand.

Mersey Valley moved up to fourth in the table as they won 5-0 at home against Witton Albion Reserves. Aaron Minshall and James Liversedge both scored twice, with a further goal coming from Kyle Denton.

Reserve League One

Whaley Bridge closed the gap at the top to two points after beating Garswood United 2-1 but Linotype retain the upper hand as they have two games in hand.

Greenalls PSO continued their impressive run of form as they moved into third place after beating Billinge 3-0 at home, while Styal and Rylands shared the points in a 2-2 draw.

Grappenhall Sports and Daten also shared the points in their Warrington derby as Joe Sandbach scored twice for Grappenhall and Gareth Pashley and Sean Wall hitting home for Daten.


Reserve League Cup

Knutsford A moved five points clear at the top of group one, after beating Middlewich Town 2-0 away. This was their final group stage game and now they wait to see if they finish as group winners as Whaley Bridge still have two games to play.

Denton Town grabbed a late equaliser as they drew 1-1 at home against Eagle Sports. The points sees Eagle complete their group stage top on goal difference but Grappenhall Sports and Pilkington winning their games in hand would mean that Eagle fail to qualify for the knock out stages.

Linotype CHN stormed to a 9-1 win at home against Golborne Sports to go a point clear in group four. Mike Thomas scored a hat trick while Jordan Thomson bagged a brace, further goals came from Matt Oldfield, Anthony Sargeant, Mike Risk and Cameron Manning.

Reserve League Two

Pilkington moved six points clear at the top of the table after beating Moore United 6-0 at home. Charlie Duke and Matt Taylor both scored twice, while Martin Hynes and Ian Quinn both made the score sheet.

Report: Kat Davey

Images: Neil Southern

Full set of images: 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s