Cheshire FL Round-Up – 28/2 15


Premier Division


Linotype CHN sit three points clear at the top of the league with three games in hand over second place Knutsford after they beat Garswood United 3-2 at home. Jordan Goodeve, Carl Sutton and Phil Yuille scored the goals that edge Linotype one step closer to the league title.

Whaley Bridge climb to sixth after a 3-2 win away at Greenalls PSO, while Poynton continued their run of form beating local rivals Styal 2-0 as Nick Challinor and Matty Toole hit home keeping Poynton in fourth.

League One

Congleton Vale managed to secure promotion without playing a league fixture as Grappenhall Sports and Malpas finished in a 1-1 draw meaning that the title race is firmly between Congleton and Malpas. (unless Malpas lose all of their remaining seven fixtures which is highly unlikely)

Grappenhall started well with good possession and some set pieces came and went before a fine team move led to a Joe Sandbach cross finding Dan Sisson, he got across his defender only to shoot at the keeper.
The away side got the break through after 34 minutes when a superb Adam Rosterne corner was headed home superbly by David France. It was well deserved and minutes later it should have been 2-0 when another team move involving 6 players led to Dan Sisson bringing the ball down 8 yards out and smashing it against the woodwork. Shortly before the break, Malpas were denied an equaliser when Danny Lloyd saw his shot crash off the bar.
Malpas started the second half brightly and Grappenhall had started to tire as gaps were opening up in the midfield, but their shape remained and they were proving tough to break down. The pressure from Malpas paid off in the 61st minute when a stunning free kick from Alex Hughes was hit 25 yards out and left the Grappenhall keeper watching as it smashed into the net for 1-1.

Golborne Sports moved up to third after beating bottom side Lostock Gralam 2-1 at home. Scott Walker gave Golborne the lead after 15 minutes which was doubled by Kieron Eaves in the second half. Lostock scored a later consolation but things continue to look bleak for the grey lambs as they sit three points adrift at the bottom of the table, having played three games more than their closest opponents.

Warrington Town moved further away from the drop zone as they finished 6-3 winners away at Egerton in a game that saw Gavin Horner grab another hat trick.

Middlewich Town sit in eighth place after beating Tarporley Victoria 4-2 at home. Tarporley took the lead in the 2nd minute when Middlewich failed to deal with a long throw into the box that was headed straight into the net by Al Moore.

Following the goal, Middlewich started to look brighter, enjoying plenty of possession and moving the ball around quickly, they were rewarded after 22 minutes with a wonder strike from striker Elliot Goryl. Evans sprayed the ball from left to right towards Goryl who chested the ball into the path of James Smith. Goryl took a return pass off Smith before unleashing a 25 yard screamer into the top corner giving the Tarporley keeper absolutely no chance.
Middlewich continued to dominate possession and good approach play in midfield allowed Evans to slip a wonderfully weighted pass inside the right back for Matty Jamieson to sweep the ball into the far corner for 2-1.

Tarporley came out for the second half looking to get back into the game and began to put Middlewich under pressure but the defence held firm. Tarporleys best threats came from set pieces, in particular from their enormous throw in from which they had scored, but as the game went on they were vulnerable to the counter attack. In the 67th minute Smith collected the ball in midfield and sprayed it out wide to Tulloch, who delivered an inch perfect cross in to the box where Smith had continued his run to plant a splendid header past the keeper to extend Middlewichs lead.
Five minutes later Town claimed a fourth goal when excellent wing play from Jamieson on the left hand side found Tulloch with a delightful cross into the box who again headed past the stranded keeper.
Tarporley claimed a consolation goal in the 90th minute which turned out to be the last action of the match when Al Moore grabbed his second header of the game after Middlewich failed to deal with a long ball in to the box.

JA Walton Challenge Cup

Congleton Vale celebrated another cup victory, beating Penlake 4-1 which moved them to the top of group one. Congleton started strongly and goals from Ryan OReilly, Richie Booth and Jordan Erdmann in the opening fifteen minutes put Congleton 3-0 up. Tom Bradley came on as a substitute to pull a goal back for Penlake in the 64th minute but a fourth goal from James Spencer in the 88th minute secured the win for Congleton who sit two points clear of Altrincham who have a game in hand.

Maine Road Reserves remain in fourth place after beating bottom side Witton Albion Reserves 3-1 away in group two. Witton were unlucky not to take the lead after 8 minutes when they caught Maine Road on the counter attack but their shot was cleared off the line by Jordan Smith. Maine Road built up the pressure and had a good run of attacking possession, their reward came after 22 minutes as great build up from the back found Rick Williams 30 yards out. As he turned the defence inside out and found his way to the goal line and squared the ball across the 6 yard box. Aeron Woodam was unable to get his shot away and knocked the ball into the path of Tommy Johnson who smashed the ball into the back of the net at the far post.

Two minutes later and Maine Road doubled their lead when Jack Shiels won the ball in the centre circle and sent it through to Sam Barnett who rifled a shot from 25 yards out giving the Witton keeper no chance.

Witton pulled a goal back on the half hour mark when Boic Bafana picked up the ball from a goal kick and slotted home for 2-1.

Rick Williams secured the points for Maine Road in the late stages of the game when he hit a thunderbolt that almost broke the net after being set up by Woodman.

The only game in group four saw Mersey Valley do the double over Irlam Reserves beating them 4-2 away. Mersey Valley took the lead after just 37 seconds when Gary Wood hit home after an assist from Andrew Barlow and their lead was doubled in the 20th minute by Josh Bates. Irlam pulled a goal back when Adam Campbell scored from the penalty spot after half an hour and Gareth Meredith brought Irlam back on level terms shortly before the break.

Aaron Minshall put Mersey Valley back in front in the 65th minute and Barlow made it 4-2 with five minutes remaining.

League Two

Wythenshawe Town moved eight points clear of Altrincham Reserves after beating Cuddington 1-0 thanks to a goal from Ash Woodhead. The other game saw West Didsbury & Chorlton share the points in a 0-0 draw leaving Woodford two points behind Altrincham in third, having played two games more.

Reserve League One

An impressive second half performance from Linotype CHN saw them finish 7-1 winners over Eagle Sports despite the sides being level at 1-1 at half time. Jordan Thomson (3) Mike Thomas, Liam Danaher, Jack Taylor and Jason Jones all scored to put Linotype one point behind Whaley Bridge with two games in hand.

Poynton sit in third spot after beating local rivals Styal 3-2 away. John Thornton (2) and James Robertson hit home for Poynton while Troy Hayden and Lee Allen scored for Styal.

Rylands and Gamesley shared the points in an eventless fixture at Gorsey Lane. The home side took the lead midway through the second half when Dave Morley converted from the spot after Yates had handled in the box. Their lead lasted less than a minute when Bethel flicked home from a free kick knocked into the Rylands box to earn Gamesley a point.

Reserve Division Cup

Knutsford A moved back into top spot in group one, two points clear of Whaley Bridge after beating Rudheath Social 4-1 at home.

In group two Grappenhall Sports moved up to third after beating West Didsbury& Chorlton A 4-3 at home. Tom Horsely, Aaron Williams and Adam Green (2) all scored as Grappenhall returned to winning form.

Cuddington moved up to fourth in group three after beating Garswood United 4-3 away, while Billinge sit in second after a 5-1 win at home against Daten. Sean Homer opened the scoring after 10 minutes following some good work on the left from Danny Hauge. It was Hauge again causing problems five minutes later before being brought down in the box and Jon Redmond stepped up to convert the penalty.  Homer made it 3-0 on the half hour when he lobbed the Daten keeper from just inside the box.

Daten pulled one back when a well taken corner was headed in at the far post by Michael Nutkins but Billinge responded quickly as Redmond got his second just before the interval to make it 4-1.

Daten started the second half well and only the foot of the post prevented them from making it 4-2.  On the hour mark, Redmond was at the end of a Danny Hauge cross to complete his hat-trick and make it 5-1.

Reserve League Two

Pilkington sit four points clear at the top of the table with a game in hand over Denton Town after a convincing 5-0 win over Malpas, while Sandbach United and Denton shared the points in a 2-2 draw.

The other game in league two saw fourth place Wythenshawe Town win 3-0 at home against Moore United.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s