Cheshire FL Round-Up – 21/2/15

Premier Division


Knutsford drew level on points with league leaders Linotype CHN after drawing 2-2 away at Crewe. Dave Owens scored twice for Knutsford, while Crewe goals came from Nathan Southern and Simon Everall.

Eagle Sports crept closer to the top two as their 3-2 win against Gamesley puts them three points behind with three games in hand over Knutsford. Gamesley opened the scoring in the 6th minute when Darren Scowcroft headed the ball in at the back post from a flicked on corner but Lee Boardman pulled Eagle level half an hour later as he finished off a good move.

Gamesley were awarded a penalty in the 64th minute which Mike Dewhurst dispatched into the bottom corner to put Gamesley back in front but five minutes later and Eagle were level again when Richard Chinn headed home Boardman’s corner. With 13 minutes remaining, Eagle put themselves in front for the first time when James Maher slid the ball under the Gamesley keeper to make it 3-2.

Goals from Josh Lane and Sam Wakefield helped Sandbach United to a 2-1 win at Greenalls PSO moving them up to eighth in the table. The home teams goal was scored by Lee Vaughan.

It was a bad day at the office for Rylands as two own goals from Ryan Duffy cancelled out a Jimmy Daniels strike and saw Poynton finish 2-1 winners, moving them up to fourth.


League One

Congleton Vale continued their run of form to extend their lead at the top to nine points after a 4-1 win away at Penlake. Dec Fletcher opened the scoring in the 13th minute only for Dan Buehler to double their lead twelve minutes later, while James Spencer added a third just before the break. Steve Scahill pulled one back for Penlake in the 53rd minute but Carl McCurrie sealed the points with a fourth for Congleton with 18 minutes to play.

Malpas remain in the title race but slipped further behind Congleton as they were held to a 3-3 draw by bottom side Lostock Gralam. After only three minutes a great one on one save from Conner Tinsley prevented Lostock taking an early lead. It was Malpas who got the break through when a defence splitting ball picked out Lee Parry who made no mistake with a one on one with the keeper after 15 minutes. Malpas continued to press and had two shots cleared off the line as they worked the ball well around the pitch however, Lostock always looked dangerous from set pieces when they did get the ball. Lostock made it 1-1 in the 38th minute when Ed Marsh was left free on the left to head home.

As the pitch cut up it was never going to be a footballing pitch second half as Malpas defended the worst end. Alex Hughes made no mistake from the penalty spot in the 50th minute after he was brought down in the box. As Malpas looked to finish the game off Lostock kept working hard and looked to get the ball forward, they were rewarded when they broke down the left and scored for 2-2. Tinsley pulled off a great save only for the ball to stick in the mud for Craig Smith to tap home in the 65th minute.

Malpas reacted well and a move through the middle saw Simon Bradley pick out Peter Williams who beat the full back and crossed the ball in for Alex Hughes to head home on 70 minutes. Lostock refused to be beaten and their efforts paid off when they were awarded a penalty late in the game. Callum Priestly slotted home to secure a point for the Northwich side.

It was a busy week for Warrington Town Reserves as they played host to Lostock Gralam on Tuesday night. The two sides played out an even fixture and finished the game level at three a piece. Warringtons goals were scored by Lloyd Pownell and Gavin Horner (2) while Ed Marsh, Ryan Millington and Craig Smith all hit home for Lostock.

The second game of the week saw Warrington share the points with Grappenhall Sports in an entertaining local derby. Grappenhall started very brightly and Jordan Rigby missed an early chance when he was through one on one with the keeper. They continued to dominate and came close with a few half chances before Odi Koubemba gambled off a Danny Sisson flick header to knock home a beautifully controlled half volley for 1-0.

This spurred Warrington on and as the game opened up they began to grow into it. Gavin Horner shot wide after beating Grappenhall keeper Powell to the ball but Rhys Bowers made it 1-1 when he stroked the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box. The game was very open for the rest of the half and both teams were looking dangerous when attacking.

Warrington started the better side in the second half and had much more possession without creating top many clear chances but the 73rd minute saw Warrington take the lead when Horner brought the ball down in the box and slotted it home for 2-1.

Grappenhall rallied and looked to dominate the last ten minutes, Rigby was guilty of missing an easy chance from 6 yards when played in by Ben Howard but the equaliser was coming. With nine minutes remaining substitute Josh Dagley crossed the ball in from the far left and his shot eluded everyone before nestling into the top right corner, despite Warrington keeper Lucas Barnes getting a hand to it.

Joe Marley gave Tarporley Victoria a half time lead in their game at Daten but second half goals from Jack Challinor (2) and Mike Leigh secured a win for the Warrington side despite Marley scoring his second of the game to make it 3-2.

Maine Road Reserves finished 4-2 winners at home against Egerton and the defeat drops their opponents down to fourth, a point behind Grappenhall but with three games in hand.

Egerton took the lead with two minutes on the clock when Chris Trowbridge was left unmarked at the far post and headed home for 1-0. Maine Road responded well and were back on level terms after 10 minutes when some good football saw Sam Barnett pick out the run of Josh Harper who smashed the ball past the Egerton keeper for 1-1. Maine Road turned the tables as Harper picked up the ball in the midfield and fed Barnett in behind the back four. Barnett challenged the Egerton keeper one on one and finished well to give Maine Road the lead.

The half continued at a fast pace and Egerton were soon back on level terms when a Tim Beresford free kick soared over the defence and wrong footed the keeper for 2-2. Egerton were then lucky not to take the lead as after drawing Fielding out of the Maine Road net, Rory Pownall squared the ball for Mike Evans only for him to send the ball over the top of an empty net.

Maine Road returned the favour at the other end when Aeron Woodman squared the ball to Tommy Johnson only for the forward to miss an empty net. On the stroke of half time Maine Road made it 3-2 when Sam Barnett found Woodman in space, he flicked the ball wide right to Harper who cut inside to lose his man and floated the ball under the crossbar from the edge of the box.

With 12 minutes remaining Maine Road secured the win when a Rick Williams corner was smashed in at the far post by Rory McCormack to make it 4-2.


League Two

Altrincham Reserves closed the gap at the top to five points as they finished 2-0 winners at home against Cheadle Town Reserves with Joel Swift and Iwannis Stouppis both making the score sheet. However, FC Woodford remain tight on their toes as their 3-0 win at Witton Albion Reserves keeps them three points off second place.

Cuddington climb to sixth after an impressive 8-0 home win over Moore United. The first goal came after strong play from Cuddington, a shot from Nathan Harwood could only be palmed into the net.

Moore were unlucky not to draw level in the 39thminute when a good cross from Warburton on the right found Joe Holt at the back post but he headed wide with the goal at his mercy. A minute later Willetts picked up a loose ball and floated it into the box to find Hynes 6 yards out but his volley is blasted over the bar

Nick Harvey added a second for the home side, shrugging off two defenders before rounding the keeper and sending Cuddington into the break 2-0 up.

The second half started as the first had ended with Cuddington much the brighter of the two teams. Steve Wright added a third when he finished from just inside the area from a well worked move. Greg Lumsdon came off the bench to score twice as he returned for his second spell at the club, before Harwood completed his hat trick scoring the 6th and 7th of the day. The latter being a spectacular shot from 25 yards out.

Ryan Hughes added the final blow, with a powerful finish from the right side of the area making it 8-0.

Reserve League One

Rylands and Middlewich Town battled it out in a 3-3 draw as the two bottom sides looked to survive the drop, while Greenalls PSO sit in fifth after their 3-2 win away at Styal. Paul Benns, Matty Burgess and Glenn Percival all hit home for Greenalls, while Styals goals came from Joe Cooper and Troy Hayden.

Garswood United finished 2-0 winners as they entertained Billinge in a local derby. Jonathan Clarke and Johnny Keddie scored at the end of each half to secure the points for the home side while Adam Deakin (2) and Tom Lees helped Eagle Sports to a 3-1 win over local rivals Grappenhall Sports


Reserve Division Cup

Whaley Bridge remain a point clear at the top of group 1 after beating Rudheath Social 1-0 away. Charlie Lacey had a first half penalty well saved by the Rudheath goalkeeper but a goal from Lee Jones in the 80th minute extended Whaleys unbeaten cup run to eight games.

Knutsford A sit a point behind Whaley in second after they won 3-1 at home against Poynton in the other group one game.

In group three, Moore United and Daten shared the points in a 1-1 draw as the sides sit fifth and fourth respectively with one game remaining.


Reserve League Two

Denton Town closed the gap at the top to two points as they beat league leaders Pilkington 4-1 away. Jordan McCann bagged a hat trick with the fourth from Andy Wales, they now sit on 23 points having played a game more than their opponents.

Wythenshawe Town move up to fourth place after beating Malpas 5-0 at home, while Sandbach United and Golborne shared the points in a 2-2 draw and Cuddington won 2-1 away at West Didsbury & Chorlton A.

Report: Kat Davey
Pictures Neil Southern – Full set:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s