Cheshire FL Round Up – 14/2/15


Premier Division

Rylands squandered a two goal first half lead, conceding three second half goals as unbeaten league leaders Linotype CHN struck back to claim all three points.

Joel Brownhill scored two well taken goals in the first 20 minutes only for the home side to pull a goal back before the interval from the penalty spot. Second half strikes from Phil Yuille and Leon Grandison gave Cheadle the points although Rylands struck the woodwork three times in an exciting encounter.

Rylands settled into the game well and after the returning James Daniels had an effort wide, Brownhill capitalized on a goalkeeping error from Aaron Tyrer to coolly finish from the edge of the penalty area. Linotype were rattled by the goal and it could have been worse for them when Daniels clipped the crossbar from an acute angle moments later.

Grandison had an effort saved by Moor in the Rylands goal and Gibson blocked a goal-bound effort from the same player as Linotype pressed for an equaliser, before Rylands increased their lead after twenty minutes when another poor clearance from Tyrer was seized upon by Mike Southern who played Brownhill through to finish well for his 17th goal of the season.

The league leaders responded well to the situation and after Grandison forced Moor into a good save, they were handed a lifeline when Kayle Power collided with Moor in the area and Yuille made no mistake from the spot.


The second half saw Linotype enjoy good possession and Moor had to be alert to prevent Ebrahim levelling the scores. At the other end Tyrer saved well from Daniels but on the hour the scores were level when Yuille scrambled the ball home after Moor had saved Balls free kick effort.

Rylands were on the back foot now and Power wasted a good opportunity to put Linotype in front with 20 minutes remaining, when his header from close range went wide of the goal.

It was a short lived reprieve for the visitors however, as Ebrahim capitalised on an error in the Rylands defence to crash the ball home form eight yards. Rylands responded with an effort from Chris Brown whiich struck the crossbar and a Daniels shot saved by the home keeper.

The points were sealed in the 82nd minute when Grandison forced the ball past Moor at the second attempt from close range. Daniels headed against the post in the final moments for Rylands but it was a disappointing result after a great start by the away side.

Knutsford slipped back into second as they lost 1-0 at home to Poynton. The away side started strongly and could have been 2-0 up after 20 minutes but for the usually reliable Challinor not converting from two crosses from the right. Knutsford grew into the game finishing the half the stronger side and should have done better after breaking three on two, only to hesitate allowing Poynton to clear the danger.

Poynton came out for the second half taking the game back to Knutsford and deservedly went in front after a neat interchange of passing from the left resulting in Challinors perfect cross for Hurst to tuck home. Poynton were unlucky not to double their lead when Challinor failed to connect with a cross from the right.

Knutsford fought back and thought they had drawn level but the goal was ruled out for a foul on the Poynton keeper. Knutsford piled on the pressure late on, including several corners, but a strong performance from O’Reagen in the Poynton net saw Poynton hold on for their fourth consecutive win. Knutsford now sit a point behind Linotype CHN having played three games more, while Poynton move up to fifth.

Billinge moved within three points of Rudheath Social in 14th as they beat Garswood United 5-1 away in their local derby. Rob Ablewhite scored twice with further goals from Ryan Platt, Jamie Anderson and Declan Gregson as Billinge continued their run of form and hope to escape the drop.

Denton Town remain level on points with Billinge after beating Pilkington 5-2 away from home. Martin Kilgour, Chica Uche, Dave Macdonald, Phil Cooper and Adam Lee all made the score sheet as Denton kept things tight at the bottom and still have three games in hand over their closest opponents.

Eagle Sports closed the gap on Knutsford to five points after beating Whaley Bridge in a tight encounter that saw Danny Nixon score the only goal, while Rudheath Social and Greenalls PSO shared the points in an entertaining 2-2 draw.

Josh Lane was in fine form for Sandbach United as he scored four times in their 8-2 demolition of Styal. Gary Cardno, Tom Watkin, Jordan Edwards and Will Saxon also hit home in a comfortable win for the home side.

JB Parker Cup
Gamesley progressed to the JB Parker Cup final after beating Crewe 3-1 at home. Goals from Tom Burns (2) and Mike Dewhurst helped Gamesley on their way, while Nathan Southern scored for Crewe. Gamesley will now face Linotype CHN on Thursday 26th March at Trafford FC.

League One

Grappenhall Sports returned to winning form as they beat Lostock Gralam in a fiery encounter that saw both teams reduced to ten men.

Lostock controlled the opening quarter and were earning lots of set pieces that Grappenhall managed to defend well with their young goal keeper doing well to control his area. Grappenhall grew in to the half and were becoming more of a threat. In the 38th minute, Dan Sisson struck home a stunning volley from the edge of the box to give the away side a 1-0 lead at the break.

Lostock started the second half brightly and were soon on level terms when a stunning volley made it 1-1. Things got heated in the middle of the pitch and an angry melee saw both sides have a man sent off. Tempers were boiling over but within minutes, Matt Ball pounced on an error at the back and slotted past the Lostock keeper to put Grappenhall back in front which turned into the winning goal.

Golborne Sports remain in fourth place but close the gap on third to just goal difference after beating Egerton 3-2 at home. Kieron Eaves gave the home side the lead after just six minutes as he scored directly from a corner and Tom Wilkinson doubled their lead in the 15th minute as he finished off some good work by Josh Taffe.

Ben Burrow pulled one back for Egerton as he scored from the penalty spot, before George Sutcliffe pulled them level shortly before the half time whistle. Golborne scored the winner in the second half when a header from Gary Shannon took a deflection into the net to make it 3-2.

Daten moved up to sixth spot after winning 3-1 away at Middlewich Town ending their eight game unbeaten run. The game started in a scrappy fashion with neither side able to put together a decent spell of possession. Daten took the lead after 14 minutes when Middlewich were caught too high up the pitch and Daten broke quickly down the left before the ball was squared to AdamWhitty in the box to slide the ball past keeper Martyn East for 1-0.

Middlewich began to enjoy lots more of the ball but were struggling to find inroads behind the Daten defence. When they did manage to, they weren’t able to test the opposition keeper enough. A long raking ball from left to right from Joe OSullivan put Matty Jamieson in behind the full back but his shot went the wrong side of the post.

Middlewich were left stunned on 24 minutes when Daten hit them on the counter again with a similar goal to their first. Possession was lost on the half way line and Daten attacked quickly down the left again and Jack Challinor had all the time in the world to strike past East.


Middlewich were now chasing the game and Daten seemed happy to sit back and see what their opposition had to offer. For all their possession Middlewich were still finding it difficult to get through Datens back line. Jamieson played a neat one two with Sam OSullivan but the keeper was able to turn his shot away. OSullivan then couldn’t get enough on a header from a corner which glanced just wide, and Michael Evans then headed against the woodwork from another set piece as Middlewich struggled to find a way through.

Inevitably as Middlewich committed more men forward and began to take more risks they were hit on the counter again with 15 minutes to go. Daten broke down the right and crossed to the back post where no one tracked Matt Bush’s run who diverted his header past East for 3-0.

Middlewich pulled a goal back with 5 minutes left when an Adam Morris free kick was handled by a player in the wall and Sam OSullivan was on hand to convert the penalty to the keeper’s right.

Tarporley Victoria continued their climb up the table as they finished 6-1 winners at home against Penlake. Ed Pattinson hit a hat trick, while Carl Smith also managed to score twice. A goal from Joe Marley completed the scoring for Tarporley as they now sit in 9th place, two points clear of the drop zone.

Congleton Vale extended their lead at the top to seven points as they beat second place Malpas 3-0 away. Congleton started the better of the two, controlling large parts of the game and took the lead after 20 minutes through Carl McCurrie. Malpas struggled to get their passing game going not holding the ball up front and taking the wrong passing option.

As the half came to an end, a good move down the right ended with a Congleton penalty that McCurrie made no mistake in converting for 2-0.

The second half was all about the next goal and Malpas started strongly, looking to keep the ball and get it out wide. The Congleton back line looked strong and kept their shape as the home side pushed on. A few long shots never troubled the keeper and then Andy Morris charged down the keeper only to see his shot hit the side netting. Corners failed to trouble the Congleton defence as they failed to beat the first man on delivery.

The game was sealed in the 70th minute when playing out from the back, Malpas over played and found themselves 3-0 down as McCurrie completed his hat trick. Malpas continued to press and were unlucky not to pull a goal back late on when they missed a penalty at the end of the game.

League Two

Altrincham Reserves closed the gap at the top to eight points as they beat Moore United 4-2 away. Joel Swift gave Altrincham the lead after 10 minutes when he headed home a free kick from the left. Two minutes later and Swift was causing problems again when he reacted quickly to a rebounded shot and tapped home for close range to make it 2-0.

Moore responded well and were unlucky not to pull a goal back when Joe Holt won the ball at the left corner flag and crossed it into Gallagher who hit the ball straight at the Altrincham keeper.

Moore made it 2-1 on the hour mark when Wilson slotted home from the penalty mark after an Altrincham defender handled the ball in the box.

Shortly after the restart and Moore were back on level terms when a Wilson free kick just inside the Moore half fell to Jones in the box, his shot was blocked but Lee Willetts cooly slotted the rebound past the keeper for 2-2.

With two minutes remaining Moore failed to clear a corner allowing Clarke to tap in from close range to put Altrincham back in front. Elliott Messam made it 4-2 to the away side in the dying stages of the game to secure the points for Altrincham.

Gary Wood, Aaron Minshall and Kyle Denton all scored for Mersey Valley as they returned to league action with a 3-0 win over West Didsbury & Chorlton Reserves, moving them up to fourth.

FC Woodford remain in third place after they beat Cheadle Town Reserves 5-2 away. Greg Mathers was in form again bagging a hat trick, while Nathan Jackson and Chris Allen also scored. Both of Cheadles goals came from Aaron Dwyer.


Reserve League One

Eagle Sports finished 4-0 winners over Middlewich Town which moves them up to fourth place, while goals from Jonathan Parkinson, David Hughes and Josh Kelly-Day helped Garswood United to a 3-0 win away at Daten.

Greenalls PSO moved up to sixth after beating Gamesley 3-0 at home. Gary Fox, Paul Molloy and Neil Sutch all hit home for the Warrington side, while Billinge climb to tenth after their 4-1 win away at Styal. Graham Simpson (2) Joe Morley and Sam Nicholson were the source of Billinges goals with Lee Allen scoring for Styal.

Whaley Bridge remain four points clear at the top of the table after beating Grappenhall Sports 6-1 away. Jay Norman gave Grappenhall the lead after 14 minutes when a mix up at the back allowed him to tap the ball in from close range. Ten minutes later and Whaley were back on level terms as Tom Scorer hit home for 1-1. Kieran Shuker turned things in Whaleys favour as he scored directly from a free kick twenty yards out before Lee Jones made it 3-1 with a cross come shot before the break.

Whaley started the second half as they ended the first and made it 4-1 through Ben Lomas before Ben Jackson capitalised on a goal mouth scramble and added their fifth. Scorer finished it off the 81st minute with his second of the game but Whaley could have made it seven when they were awarded a penalty for hand ball. Ben Lomas stepped up to take the kick but an impressive save by Grappenhall keeper Stuart Lupton prevented Lomas from his second of the game.

Linotype CHN kept up the pressure on Whaley as they beat Rylands 5-1 away. Rylands took the lead midway through the first half when Nathan Clements rounded off a fine move involving Thomas, Freeman and Farrelly. Ten minutes before the break Rylands were reduced to ten men and Mike Thomas pulled Linotype level from the penalty spot just before the break. The man advantage helped Linotype in the second half and after 62 minutes they took the lead through Thomas. Clements and Matthews went close for Rylands who were never out of the game despite being down to ten men, but a second penalty ten minutes from time saw the visitors make it 3-1. Two further goals from Mike Wild killed the game and secured the points for Linotype.

Reserve League Cup

Sandbach United move into top spot in group one after beating Poynton 2-1 away as James Bettley and Rob Anderson scored for Sandbach and Joe Swindells hit home for Poynton. The win puts them level on points with Whaley Bridge having played two games more.

Reserve League Two

Knutsford A return to second place after beating Denton Town 4-2 away. Goals from Howard Clayton, Dean Hou, Mark Evans and Johnny Scott put them three points behind league leaders Pilkington with two games in hand.

Cuddington moved up to sixth spot following an impressive 7-0 win at home against Golborne Sports, while Moore United finished 3-2 winners at West Didsbury & Chorlton A through goals from Johnny Rudge (2) and Tom Smith.

Report: Kat Davey
Pictures: Neil Southern
Link to Neil’s work can be found here:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s