Match Report – Newcastle Town 2-1 Goole AFC

Newcastle Town

Match Report – Newcastle Town 2-1 Goole AFC

Newcastle Town made it five wins on the trot with a hard fought win at Goole on Saturday afternoon.

Goals in either half from Josh Gordon and then Tim Sanders were enough as Castle remain in top spot in the Evo-Stik Division One South.

It was the hosts who made the better start to the game as they put the Castle goal under immediate pressure with Tyler Williams somehow hitting the crossbar from three yards out after good work down the right from Matthew Semley.

Having withstood the early pressure from their opponents, Castle slowly found their way into the game and went close as Josh Gordon headed wide from Tim Sanders’ corner.

Neville Thompson, who was making a return from injury, was next to go close as his low 25-yard drive was excellently tipped around the post by Goole keeper Chris Snaith.

Snaith was then called upon once again moments later as he blocked Gordon’s close range half volley after the forward had beaten his man down the left hand side.

However the Castle striker made amends for his earlier misses as he headed in from six yards from Sanders’ corner on 21 minutes to give the visitors the lead.

Castle were now in full control and perhaps should have gone two up as James Askey headed over the bar, this time from a Sanders’ right wing free kick.

Goole then pulled themselves level on 35 minutes as Semley laid the ball to David Taylor whose low shot from the left found the net via Adam Alcock’s leg.

The equaliser gave Goole the momentum and Alcock had to be at his best to deny the hosts the lead as he brilliantly tipped over Billy Law’s effort for a corner.

Newcastle Goole

Half time came and went and the second period began the same as the first as Goole started well but were unable to create any clear opportunities to grab a second goal.

But it was Castle who did take the lead on 54 minutes as Snaith was unable to hold onto Elliot Osborne’s shot from distance, leaving Sanders on hand with a tap in to give the visitors a second against the run of play.

Sanders was then close to adding a third soon after as his 30-yard free kick crashed off the underside of the crossbar before Aaron Carter’s follow up was blocked by the Goole defence.

The hosts then went close to scoring a second as James Coupland volleyed over the crossbar when the substitute found himself in space inside the Castle box.

Castle then needed the brilliance of Alcock once again in goal as the keeper got his fingers to a curling effort from Law when a goal looked almost a certainty.

Goole continued to pressure the back line of Castle late on in the game but were unable to grab a late equaliser meaning Ivan Lodge’s men took all three points back to Staffordshire.

NEWCASTLE TOWN: Alcock, Askey, Carter, Dickin, Bramall, Gurrionero, Sanders, Lowe, Urwin, Thompson (Osborne), Gordon. Not used: Ashman, Moores, Graham.

GOOLE AFC: Snaith, Mackie, Taylor, Robson, Steeple, Mack, Semley, Tonkinson, Law (Rose), Jackson (Coupland), Williams. Not used: Brownlee.

REPORT: Steve Sharman


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s