Cheshire FL Round-Up 24/1/15


Premier Division

Knutsford closed the gap at the top to one point after beating Pilkington 9-2 away. Dave Owens was in fine form as he bagged five times while Liam Myers and Tom Rutter both scored twice.

Eagle Sports moved up to third place after beating Billinge 4-0 at home. Lee Boardman and Jon Shakeshaft scored the goals that put Eagle five points behind second place Knutsford with two games in hand.

Poynton moved up to sixth spot as they won 4-3 at home against Rudheath Social. Rudheath took a two goal lead in the game but Nick Challinor pulled one back for Poynton on the hour mark after Andy Simpson was brought down in the box. With 15 minutes remaining, Challinor put Poynton back on level terms when he finished off a good counter attack to make it 2-2.

Ste Kirby turned things round for the home side, making it 3-2 in the 80th minute but Rudheath made it 3-3 soon after as they equalised from the penalty spot. Late into injury time Poynton were awarded another penalty which was saved well by the keeper but Kirby caught the rebound and smashed it home to win the game 4-3.

JB Parker Division One Cup

Gamesley will play Crewe in the semi-final of the cup after beating current holders Garswood United 4-1 at home. Mike Dewhurst hit home twice while Josh Stevenson and Mitchell Thomas all scored in their quarter-final victory.

Linotype CHN have made it to the final of the division one cup after beating Rylands 2-1 after extra time and they will play the winner of Gamesley v Crewe.

In a tight first half, with chances at a premium, Rylands created the better opportunities through top scorer Joel Brownhill who twice tested Aaron Tyrer in the visitors goal and captain Alex Lowe who saw a chance drift just wide. Linotypes best effort came from a Pete Bradshaw header which was cleared from the line by the returning Chris Brown.

The second half was a much more intense and open game with both sides creating opportunities to score. Andy Moor was alert to comfortably hold a speculative effort from Nehru McKenzie, before Tyrer repeated the save at the other end when Deakin set Southern up for a half chance.

In the 67th minute Rylands were awarded a penalty when Ball bundled the ever threatening Lee Deakin over as he challenged for a cross from Gibson. Southern found the corner from his driven spot kick, with Tyrers fingertips not enough to keep the strike out.

As Linotype pushed for the equaliser, the game opened up and Rylands counter attacked dangerously with Deakin and Lowe going close to sealing the win. To their credit, Linotype kept on knocking on the Rylands door, and after a series of corners and free kicks from deep and wide areas, the Rylands resistance was broke in stoppage time after Moor’s sliced punch from a corner fell to Kayle Power on the edge of the box. His first time strike found its way through Gibson and Williams on the line to force the game in to extra time.

The goal spurred on the visitors and throughout extra time they enjoyed the majority of possession and with 7 minutes to go, they caused problems again from a corner and Hines was able to blast the ball in to the roof of the net amidst the penalty box scramble to make it 2-1.

League One

Tarpoley Victoria celebrated victory as they beat rivals Lostock Gralam 4-2 away to go level on points with their opponents. Sam Lloyd (2) Richie Moss and Dan Ball all hit home in an important win for Tarporley as they now remain bottom but only by goal difference and have three games in hand over Lostock.

At the other end of the table, Congleton Vale went four points clear at the top after beating Golborne Sports 2-1 away. Jordan Erdmann scored for Congleton in the 35th minute which was followed up by a Dec Fletcher goal in the 73rd. Golborne’s goal came from Josh Taffe.

Daten pulled themselves away from the bottom two as they won 4-2 at home against Penlake. Leon Goulden opened the scoring for Daten in the 8th minute and Sean Bennett made it 2-0 ten minutes later but Alex Griesdale made it 2-1 scoring for Penlake in the 22nd minute.

Mike Riley drew Penlake level shortly after the hour mark but late goals from Jack Challinor and Bennett secured the points for Daten.

Maine Road Reserves sit in fifth place as they shared the spoils with Warrington Town Reserves in a 1-1 draw. Warrington had the first attacking chance of the game but keeper Lewis Fielding got down low to keep the wolves at bay.

Warrington made it 1-0 in the 28th minute with a well worked goal from their strike force but Maine Road responded quickly and two minutes later it was 1-1. Good build up play saw Jordan Smith switch play from left to right to Dominic Chatfield, who went on the run, past the left back and put a low cross into the box. As the ball bounced, it was met on the up with a great scissor kick effort from Nick Osborne into the roof of the net.

JA Walton Challenge Cup

Altrincham Reserves returned to action with a bang as they stormed to a 9-1 win away at Moore United. Kane Hughes bagged a hat trick along with a brace from Ryan Goodwin, while Matt Christie, Craig Goulden, Iwannis Stoupis and Connor Sutton also made the score sheet in their first Cheshire League fixture since November.

Moore’s goal was scored from the penalty spot by Wilson, after Farnadi was brought down in the box. Altrincham now sit four points clear at the top of group one, having played a game more than second place Congleton Vale.

Malpas sit comfortably at the top of group two and go three points clear after beating Witton Albion Reserves 4-0 at home.

On a poor pitch, both teams looked to keep the ball on the ground which was not easy with the uneven bounce. Witton started brightly playing good football and giving as good as they got. Malpas opened the scoring when a corner was fired home with a bullet header from Steve Watkins on 20 minutes. Five minutes later and it took a quality save low down from Conner Tinsley to keep Witton

Shortly after the half hour mark, Mike Gibbs broke down the right, before picking out Alex Hughes who fired into the top corner for 2-0. This was followed up two minutes later when Hughes drove a free kick top corner.

Witton were reduced to ten men when their centre half was dismissed for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity and soon after this it was 4-0 when Hughes completed his hat trick from the penalty spot after being fouled in the box.

People expected Malpas to put the away side to the sword but to their credit Witton worked very hard continuing to pass the ball and it was difficult to tell they had only ten players on the pitch.

Middlewich won their fifth consecutive match in all competitions to move into pole position in group four and further boost their chances of reaching the last eight of the competition. They now sit ahead of Mersey Valley on goal difference having played a game more.

Middlewich started brightly and took the lead on 10 minutes when Jamieson evaded the offside trap to race clear and round the keeper before rolling the ball into the net. Tulloch doubled the lead when the Cuddington keeper failed to hold a Jamieson shot allowing Tulloch to pounce and calmly roll the ball into an empty net.

Cuddington continued to try to get back into the game but this allowed Middlewich to hit them on the counter and Tulloch scored again just before half time when he raced clear on the left and hit a fine shot across the keeper to the far corner for 3-0.

Middlewich continued to create a lot of chances in the second half and made it 4-0 after half time when Evans was sent clear and stabbed a great shot over the keeper for the goal of the game.

After coming off the bench, Smith was lively down the right creating chances for Rowlands and Jamieson whilst also going close himself but for a smart save from the keeper. Jamieson made it 5-0 by converting first time from a right wing cross. Middlewich failed to keep a clean sheet though as Nathan Harwood wasn’t closed down quickly enough and he finished smartly into the far corner past East, who had been relatively quiet up to this point.

Reserve League One

Whaley Bridge continued their run of good form by beating Daten 5-2 at home but Linotype CHN kept up the pressure as they won 3-0 at home against Eagle Sports. Matt Oldfield, Jordan Thomson and Anthony Sargeant all hit home in a win that keeps them seven points behind Whaley with four games in hand.

Greenalls PSO move up to eighth following a 6-2 home win over Poynton. Ben McWilliams scored a hat trick with further goals from Paul Molloy, Gary Fox and Matty Burgess.

Reserve League Two

Pilkington returned to top spot after winning 6-3 at West Didsbury & Chorlton A. They now sit two points clear of Denton Town with a game in hand.

Cuddington move up to sixth following a 4-3 win at home against Denton Town.

Reserves League Cup

Wythenshawe Town sit top of group three after beating Moore United 4-0 at home. They are seven points clear of Billinge with two games remaining meaning they have now qualified for the quarter finals.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s