Stockport County 2-2 Wrexham – Match Report








Stockport County and Wrexham will battle it out again in a replay on Tuesday after a highly entertaining FA Trophy tie at Edgeley Park ended all square. A clichéd game of two halves saw County lead 2-0 at the break, with Wrexham deservedly levelling things up in the second half after a performance manager Kevin Wilkin said they dominated.

‘We threw everything at them and knew if we were patient the chances would come. We thought we did enough to win the game but on a heavy pitch like that and away from home, we’ll have to settle for a replay’ he said.

County took the lead as early as the sixth minute through Jack Ryan, Hatters defender Stephen O’Halloran found himself well advanced up field and his through ball was perfectly weighted for the on-loan striker to latch on to and coolly slot past Dan Bachmann in the Wrexham goal.

County doubled their lead just after the half hour mark in similar fashion to the first. This time it was Matthew Todd’s through ball that found Chris Sharp, he rounded Bachmann and cut inside on his right foot to curl the ball into the far corner.

County were well deserved of their two goal lead and manager Alan Lord was delighted the team had stuck to the game plan they’ve been working on, he said ‘for the first half we were more than a match for a team in a higher division than us and we were deserved of the two goal lead’.

County were then forced in to an early change as Richie Baker who was returning from a hamstring injury pulled up with a reoccurrence 10 minutes before the break.

‘It changed the game for us as we were forced in to a few changes with injuries which changed our shape’ said Lord.
Wrexham themselves forced into a half-time change dominated the second half, but were made to work hard.

‘Fair play to Stockport, they made us work hard to get back into the game and defended well’ said Wilkin.
County defended resolutely and soaked up the Wrexham pressure until midway through the second half when two quick-fire goals got Wrexham back into the game. First up Connor Jennings was on hand to side foot home Neil Ashton’s cross, albeit via a slight deflection, then minutes later Wrexham sub Louis Moult scored an acrobatic overhead kick after Hurst could only palm away an earlier gold-bound effort to ensure the replay both managers could well do without.

Hear Alan Lord’s reaction after the game here:

Stockport County 2
Ryan 6, Sharp 31.

Wrexham 2
Jennings 67, Moult 70.

HT: 2-0

Att: 2416

Referee: Mr Stephen Ross 8/10

Star man: Stephen O’Halloran (Stockport)

Match rating: 5/5

Stockport County: (5-3-2) Hurst 7, Todd 7, Duxbury 6, Lees 7 (capt), Belezika 6, O’Halloran 8, Moses 7 (Dennis 60) 6, Churchman 7, Sharp 7, Baker 6 (Lofthouse 36) 6, Ryan 7.
Subs not used: Spencer, Ormson, Hancock.

Wrexham: (4-4-2) Bachmann 6, Carrington 6, Ashton 7 (capt), Smith 6, Hudson 6 (White 46) 6, Durrell 7, Harris 6(Moult 60) 7, Bishop 7, Evans 7, York 6, Jennings 7.
Subs not used: Clarke, Keates, Tomassen.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s