Cheshire FL – Round Up 2/1/15


Premier Division

Linotype CHN moved a point clear at the top of the Prem after beating Pilkington 8-1 at home. Carl Sutton was in fine form as he bagged a hat trick and Leon Grandison added another two goals to his seasons tally. Kayle Power, Adam Stuart and Iain Hines also hit home in a successful day for the Cheadle side. The win moved them back to the top of the table with a game in hand over second place Knutsford.

Poynton moved up to ninth after their 2-1 win away at Greenalls PSO. Ellis Houghton gave Greenalls the lead after 62 minutes but late goals from Rick Bailey and Matty Toole saw Poynton finish victorious.

Garswood United shared the points in a 1-1 draw with bottom side Denton Town, while Rylands finished on level terms with Gamesley as the game finished 2-2.

League One

The only league game to be played saw Warrington Town Reserves share the points with Daten as two second half goals saw the sides finished 1-1 in their local derby.

JA Walton Challenge Cup

Middlewich continued their impressive run of form with a 4-1 victory over Tarporley Victoria to stretch their unbeaten run to five games.

Middlewich showed their intent from the off with the Tarporley keeper pulling off a string of saves to deny Lunn, Evans and Jamieson, who also struck a fine effort that came back off the crossbar. The home pressure eventually told in the 15th minute as Chris Lunn raced clear to lift the ball over the advancing keeper to give Middlewich a deserved 1-0 lead.

Middlewich continued to press, forcing the Tarporley keeper into more action, first as Joe OSullivan worked away a shot after good footwork and secondly tipping a 25 yard shot from Steve Rowlands round the post.

At half time Middlewich chose to bring on Stuart Tulloch for Chris Lunn and reaped the rewards straight away as Tulloch soon found the net to make it 2-0, slotting the ball calmly past the keeper.

Tarporley got themselves back into the match as the hosts failed to adequately deal with a long throw and the ball was diverted in to make it 2-1. However two similar goals in quick succession from Jamieson and Sam OSullivan gave Middlewich a comfortable 4-1 lead. Middlewich keeper Martyn East was forced into a good save at the other end when Tarporley looked certain to score.

At the other end, James Smith twice went close for Middlewich but the Tarporley keeper pulled off a smart save after a dazzling run and then a more comfortable save from a close range header to keep the score at 4-1.

The win moves Middlewich up to third in group four, one point behind Tarporley but with four games in hand over their opponents, giving them a good chance of qualification for the quarter final.

The other game in group four saw Irlam Reserves celebrate their second win as they beat Cuddington 3-2 at home. This leaves them two points behind Daten with two games in hand.

In group two, Malpas finished 4-2 winners over Maine Road Reserves to go joint top of the group table, second to Lostock Gralam, only on goal difference having played the same number of games. Maine Road sit three points behind the top two but with a game in hand.

Alex Hughes scored twice for Malpas with further goals coming from captain Steve Watkins and Lee Parry, while Dan Morgan scored twice for Maine Road.

League Two

There were goals galore as Cheadle Town Reserves played host to Moore United and the sides finished on level terms in a 3-3 draw.

Moore started the game brightly and were unlucky not to take an early lead as Joe Green and Joe Holt both had chances that were well saved by Liam Warner in the Cheadle goal.

At the other end, a loose pass out from the back fell to Aaron Dwyer who carried it to the edge of the box and struck low sending the ball into the bottom corner for 1-0 to Cheadle. Dwyer was in the midst of the action again five minutes later when he danced around the defence and into the box. His shot was well saved by Moore keeper Balmer but Dwyer smashed home the rebound to double Cheadles lead.

Good goal keeping from David Balmer stopped Cheadle extending their lead further in the 40th minute. Joe Holt beat the offside trap at the other end but Warner saved his shot.

Cheadle added a third in the 43rd minute when Nathan Neequaye finished a simple tap in from three yards out.

Moore took control from the restart and were gifted three corners but were unable to convert their chances. With seconds of injury left in the first half, they were awarded a free kick just outside the box on the left when Joe Green was fouled. Colin Wilson scored the free kick from 20 yards out as he bent the ball around the wall and into the bottom corner of the net, out of Warners reach.

Cheadle started the second half quickly and could have extended their lead when Neequaye was one on one with Balmer but the goal keeper saved well.

In the 75th minute Joe Green crossed the ball from the left to find Holt in the box, he squared the ball across the six yard box to John Darbyshire to side foot home to make it 3-2.

Late into injury time as Cheadle tried to hold on for the point, a scuffed clearance fell to Lilford who dribbled the ball ten yards forward, before laying it across the box to Danny Dunne who shot through a crowded box and past the keeper to make it 3-3.

Reserve League Cup

Group One saw Whaley Bridge beat Poynton 4-1 away from home to go a point clear at the top of the table with six games played.

In group two, Eagle Sports beat Pilkington 2-0 to leap frog their opponents and go two points clear at the top of the table, having played two games more. Andy Dawson and Thomas Lees made the score sheet in Eagles victory.

The other game in group two saw Styal win 4-2 away at Grappenhall Sports to move off the bottom of the group table after collecting eight points from eight games.

Wythenshawe Town remain four points clear at the top of the table after beating Daten 3-2 at home, while second place Billinge beat Moore United 3-1 away through goals from Andy Clarke, Sam Nicholson and Jonathon Redmond.

The only game in group four saw Golborne Sports beat Rylands 2-1 as Nathan Noon and Luke Christopher hit home to give Golborne their first win in seven cup games.

Reserve League Two

Denton Town moved into top spot as they beat Malpas 6-2 at home. Denton now sit a point clear of Knutsford A and Pilkington, having played a game more than both of the teams below.

Report – Kat Davey


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s