Cheshire FL – Round Up 6/12/14


Premier Division

Linotype CHN closed the gap at the top to two points after beating Rudheath Social 4-1. Leon Grandison and Carl Sutton both grabbed a goal each in a successful win for the Cheadle side.

Eagle Sports moved up to fourth on goal difference after coming from 1-0 down at Styal. Scott McGowan put Styal ahead but goals from Chris Quirk and a penalty converted by Lee Boardman saw Eagle secure maximum points.

Rylands moved up to sixth after beating Billinge 3-1 away. Rylands started the game brightly and almost scored after just two minutes when Dean Jennings fired narrowly wide from close range after good work from Southern. The home side were under pressure again as Southern scored minutes later following excellent build up play from Ben Latham. Rylands keeper Andy Moore was called into action for the first time after fifteen minutes, comfortably holding a long range drive from Gregson.
Latham almost increased Rylands advantage after thirty minutes when his effort was cleared off the line. Billinge forced a smart save from Moor when he turned away Rob Ablewhites angled drive and then the away side scored a second moments later when an excellent through ball from Jennings was turned past the advancing keeper by Joel Brownhill to make it 2-0.
The second period began with Billinge enjoying their best spell of the game and after Moor had saved well from Gregson, they pulled a goal back on 53 minutes when Ablewhite tapped home after Andersons shot had rebounded off the crossbar.
Rylands stirred themselves and Latham headed just wide from an Alex Lowe cross and then saw his close range effort ruled out for offside. At the other end Moor saved well from a Gregson free kick but the game was sealed with ten minutes remaining when Latham headed home an Andy Williams cross.


League One
Grappenhall Sports closed the gap on third place Egerton after beating Penlake 4-3. Two goals from Koubemba Odilon along with strikes from Sam Shaw and Dan Sisson secured the win for Grappenhall, while Penlakes goals were scored by Alex Griesdale (2) and Davey Baines.

Maine Road Reserves moved up to fifth with a 3-1 win away at Tarporley Victoria. The opening 30 minutes saw a free flowing game with neither side creating many chances.
Lewis Fielding in the Maine Road net was forced into a great save as Andy Rodgers smashed the ball goal-wards in the 35th minute. Soon after this and Maine Road built an attack as Connor Kilcullen picked out Sam Barnett in midfield. He found Aaron Woodman on the edge of the box and layed the ball off to Declan OShea and his well-timed ball allowed George Noon to finish superbly as he shot across the keeper and into the far corner.

Noon continued to test the Tarporley defence but the hour mark saw Maine Road take a 2-0 lead as a Tarporley defender headed into his own net. Shortly after, Noon found himself one on one with the centre half and used his pace to storm to the edge of the box and send the ball under the keeper for 3-0.
Tarporley made it 3-1 eight minutes from time when Craig Phelan hit home for the first time this season.

JA Walton Cup
Middlewich Town came from 1-0 down to beat Daten 2-1. Sean Bennett gave Daten a first half lead but substitutes Matthew Jamieson and Steven Rowlands scored for Middlewich to give them their second win of their cup campaign.

Warrington Town Reserves move up to second in group three after beating Golborne Sports 3-1 at home. Gary Shannon gave Golborne the lead but Warrington battled back to finish 3-1 winners.

The top three sides in group two all sit on twelve points after Lostock Gralam stormed to a 6-2 win away at Ashton Town Reserves. Sam Wakefield bagged a hat trick and Callum Priestley also hit home twice, with a further goal from Ed Marsh. Maine Road top the group with a better goal difference and two games in hand over their closest opponents.

League Two

Damon Lee earned Cheadle Town Reserves a point after West Didsbury & Chorlton had taken a first half lead, while Cuddington finished 3-2 winners away at Moore United.
Cuddington forced Moore keeper Balmer into action early on as he tipped the ball out for a corner.

The 20th minute saw Balmer pull off another top save with a strong hand to push round the post and although Cuddington were unable to get anything from the corner they were testing the Moore defence. Five minutes later and Cuddington were in front when Nathan Harwood was given time in the box to turn and poke the ball home for 1-0.

Moore drew back level in the 40th minute when Sean Willott did well to win the ball off the Cuddington defence, he looked up and put through a defence splitting ball to pick out Joe Holts run. The Cuddington keeper came rushing out to smother the shot but Holt smashed the ball past him for 1-1.
Ste Hughes was unlucky not to put Cuddington back in front in the 51st minute when he caught Moore napping at the back but Gallaghers clearance eventually ended up in the hands of his keeper to prevent any danger.

Three minutes later and Cuddington were pressing again, this time they were successful and went 2-1 up through Adam Ste Hughes.

The 67th minute saw Wilson split the defence with a ball through to holt who was one on one with the Cuddington keeper but as he tried to round the keeper, he smothers the ball. Soon after and Farnadi reacted well to a rebound from Holts shot to slot home for 2-2 with his first touch of the game.
With ten minutes to go, Cuddington secured the points when Adam Bettley caught Moore on the break and hit home to make it 3-2.


Reserve League One

Linotype CHN took a step closer to second place Poynton as they won 4-3 in a tight game away at Garswood United. Tom Cleary, Jason Jones and Mitch Wood (2) The win puts them a point behind Poynton, with three games in hand.
Eagle Sports beat Poynton 4-0 as Tomo Lees bagged a hat trick, with a further goal from Paul Gatenby and Gamesley move up to eighth after beating Grappenhall Sports 2-1.

Reserve League Two

Knutsford A returned to the top of the table after sharing the points in a 1-1 draw away at Sandbach United. Dominic Baker and Jonny Scott scored the goals that put Knutsford level on points with Pilkington but send them to the top of the table on goal difference.

The only other game in the division saw Wythenshawe Town beat West Didsbury & Chorlton 5-1 at home, moving them up to fifth.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s